Episode 2: Long-Term Repetition (Finally!)

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Download Episode 2

First, I'd like to thank you all for your patience and support. Episode 2 was a long time (and a lot of work) in coming, and I hope you'll think it was worth the wait.

This episode deals with long-term repetition. That's repetition over the course of a song or an entire routine. We'll discuss:
- maximizing intellectual satisfaction by balancing length & complexity (with graphs!)
- maximizing emotional satisfaction by balancing frequency & drama (also with graphs!)
- using theme and variation to keep repeated elements fresh and interesting
- using the structure of your music to guide your repetition

In the process I'll be sharing:
- low-, medium-, and high-complexity combinations
- several ideas for medium- and high-drama movements
- combinations that demonstrate Theme & variation
- my "cheater's drop", a less intimidating alternative to the Turkish Drop
- a DIY exercise on working with your musical structure

This episode also includes performance clips by me, as well as by Badriya al Badi'a of Boston.


VIDEO:

This episode runs just over an hour, which is too long to fit on You Tube (due to their 10-minute limit), so I'm only posting the introduction there. All versions are formatted to be iPod-friendly.
- Our Media (full version, downloadable)
- Google Video (full version, viewable online and downloadable)
- YouTube (introduction only)


I've created an RSS feed on Feedburner, and you can now subscribe in iTunes.


MUSIC:

The music featured in this episode is from Belly Dancing for Fortune and Fame:
- Sala, Sala (the Taktaba theme song)
- Shisheler
- Drum Solo
- Mastika
- El Samer
Special thanks to Stella Grey for donating the use of this CD.


Update: 1/12/2008: If you've had trouble downloading this episode, try watching it in VLC. If it still fails, download the low-resolution version. The video quality isn't as good, but the smaller file size might help!

Update: 4/9/2008: The podcast DVDs have found a new home on Amazon:



You can also order directly from the manufacturer, CreateSpace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After loving the intro video on youtube, I would love to download the other videos you have kindly provided, but for the life of me I can't work out how to do so from either our media or google video ! Can you advise please ?

thanks !

Jess said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for watching! To download the Our Media version, right-click on the link for "Our Media" and choose your "save as" option. The exact name of this option varies depending on which browser you're using. In Safari, it's "download linked file". In Firefox, it's "save link as". For Internet Explorer, I believe it's "save target as".

You can also subscribe in iTunes, which will download it automatically.

One note: these are BIG files, so it may take a while to download (it takes me about 18 minutes at my University, which has very high speed service).

The episodes are also available on DVD at:
http://www.nadirajamal.com/buypodcast.html
but you're always welcome to download it and burn it yourself (and even share the DVD with someone else, as long as you don't charge for it).

Nadira

Anonymous said...

Woah! This is meaty! I feel like I'm taking college level bellydance classes. :) Thanks so much for all your work. I know that over time as I complete the homework this will be very helpful for my dancing. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Anastazia la Luminaire said...

Thank you, Nadira, for the fabulous podcast on timing patterns. I have been thinking about purchasing your videos for some time and after watching this podcast, I must have them!

You have totally changed the way I think about structure. I have always been at a loss with that sort of thing.

I am just as excited to apply this to my poi spinning and hoop dancing as I am to use it for bellydance.

You are amazing. Thank you again for sharing your insights with us.

Nadira said...

Thanks, Anastazia!

 
Design by: Searchopedia convertido para o Blogger por TNB